Friday, October 18, 2013

0700 seems to be the time to set the alarm when we are moving and today was no different. The small craft advisory was still in effect although the timeframe had shortened, it was supposed to be over by 1400 instead of 1700. We decided to take our chances and go for it. The first couple of hours were okay, winds about 5 to 10 knots and waves about 2 feet. I had some catching up to do on the log so I went below and started my work. Bad idea in these waves! I quickly got back to the cockpit and took the helm from Jorge. I thought by keeping myself focused I would be okay. I went below again to make another coffee and tea. Again a bad idea. By this time we were close to the mouth of the Potomac River and the wind and waves were coming from that direction making travelling and my tummy quite uncomfortable.

While I was at the helm, we got hit by three waves on the bow that seemed to come out of nowhere. Honestly the waves were previously hitting us broadside. The v-berth hatch was open a crack. I have no idea how so much water could have gotten into the boat! Jorge quickly went to work, just what we needed - salt water inside the boat. After being below for a time, he began to feel queasy and came up to the cockpit for fresh air and stabilization.

The waves were now about 5 feet and I gladly handed the helm over to him and tried to compose myself. It didn't work. I had a few mouthfuls of Jorge's ginger ale and that didn't help either. However after relieving myself of the ginger ale and last cup of tea, I began to feel better. The ginger ale helped Jorge and he was fine all day.

Oh yeah, it was rough!

Kim sliding around in the cockpit due to the waves.

The dinghy in the waves.

After putting the opening of the Potomac River behind us, the waves settled down to a respectable 2 feet and the winds calmed (previously gusting to 17 knots). We had the geneo out and were motor sailing. Actually the winds died by about 1600 and we had to roll in the geneo, the waves were still about 2 feet.

We headed into the bay we wanted and went up a creek to anchor. We found a perfect spot, protected from the wind direction for the night, and set the anchor shortly after 1700. So relieved to be in a quiet calm anchorage after a rough day on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment