Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 14, 2014

After a leisurely breakfast it was down to work. I dinghied ashore to purchase tickets for tonight's Valentine dinner at Chat and Chill Bar. This was the first time I took the dinghy to shore (not a dinghy dock). Okay so Jorge neglected to show me how to raise the motor when in shallow water. There I was like a dumb female fumbling around with the engine when a male cruiser came to my rescue. He also pulled the dinghy up on the sand for me and instructed me on how to get it back into the water easily when leaving (that part I already knew). Next I went to the bar to get the tickets but the bartender was going in to be after 0900 (it was already 0930) to take the money and could I come back. At least I got our names on the reservation list. I got the dinghy back into the water alright but what was the trick to getting the engine down! I was fumbling with the same locking mechanism but hey being mechanically challenged I couldn't get it to work. The same male cruiser helped me out again after I rowed back to shore (as I was drifting away). Having successfully lowered the engine I impressed the guy by starting the engine on the first pull! Not totally useless! LOL. Jorge was on CS'ta Time doing some big boat engine maintenance while I was struggling with the dinghy.

We spent the day on the boat checking out systems and doing boat jobs. There always seems to be something that needs doing!

We finished the jobs mid afternoon, had cockpit showers and then enjoyed a good beer while drying in the sun and breeze. Diana and Gilbert stopped by on the way to Chat and Chill as did another couple, Tom and Annie. The six of us then headed to the beach for Valentine's dinner which was very good. After dinner there was a dance and I swear I felt the deck was going to collapse as the cruisers danced up a storm. We were literally shoulder to shoulder on the deck trying to dance! It was a good time and we were back on the boat at 2215 - way past boater's midnight which is 2100.

Valentine's dinner at Chat and Chill (l - r: Annie, Tom, Diana, Gilbert.)

Kim and Jorge Valentine's Day Chat and Chill.
 
February 15, 2014
 
For the third night in a row it rained, not as heavy last night as the two previous nights. The boats are thoroughly enjoying the rinse and getting rid of the salt water.
 
After breakfast Gilbert called on the VHF and asked if we wanted to hike up Monument Hill. We were game! We packed a picnic lunch and met Diana and Gibert and Annie and Tom on the beach and away we went. We first walked across the island to the beach on the other side and then found a gazebo (belonging to a local resort) where we enjoyed lunch. We sat around and chatted before gathering up energy to hike up Monument Hill. Once at the monument we had an excellent view of George Town and the anchorages.
 
The walk across Stocking Island to the beach.

The beach on the eastern side of Stocking Island.

It was such an exhausting walk the girls just had to relax in the hammock at the gazebo!
 
Crystal clear ocean water.

Ferns along the walking path.

View from atop Monument Hill.

Kim and Jorge at base of Monument Hill.
(Jorge scaled down the face while the rest of us wimped out and took the walking path down.)
 
We parted ways with Diana and Gilbert and Annie and Tom once back at the dinghies. Jorge and I toured around close to our anchorage visiting the local hurricane holes - spots very well protected from the winds. We then dinghed across the harbour to George Town and wandered around for a couple of hours, then back to CS'ta Time.
 
We have been in contact with Lynn and Sally (who we hung out with in Annapolis). Due to some boat and family issues they are back in Long Island, New York and totally bummed out about being delayed in getting back to their boat (which is in the Abacos, Bahamas). Sally has some family business to attend to but Lynn is free and will be joining us this week aboard CS'ta Time for a six day visit. We are looking forward to seeing him but I'm sure not as much as he is looking forward to getting away from the wrath of this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment